Today I found an article, “America’s Top 10 Favorite Baked Goods” on howstuffworks.com (http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/10-favorite-baked-goods.htm) and I can confidently say that America’s top 10 are Hayley’s top 10. Bagels at #3??? America, come on. So I set out to make a list of my own top baked goods. Here goes nothing.....
6. Bread. Warm out of the oven, with a crunchy exterior and super soft interior...can’t beat it. Except with the five things below this.
5. Cake/cupcakes. I like them, but I prefer other baked goods. Sorry to all the cake enthusiasts out there. If I do go for cake, I want yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Or anything with cream cheese frosting, or just plain cream cheese frosting.
4. Apple fritters. A self-described “apple snob”, I take apples very seriously. My hometown of Glastonbury, CT has an Apple Festival every fall because we have so many orchards and apple aficionados. Apple fritters are a staple of fall in my hometown, they are basically donuts with some apple chunks in them, coated in cinnamon sugar. My mom has sent them to me a few times since I’ve lived away from home, but they’re not quite the same as eating them on a farm next to a corn maze.
3. Apple crisp. My mom always makes my grandmother’s apple crisp which is basically cooked apples and sugar and everything delicious. With some vanilla ice cream...I could eat a whole pan. And then another one.
2. Brownies. Can’t go wrong with chocolate. Ever. A little under-baked in the center with crispy edges...YUM
1. Chocolate chip cookies. What can I say, I love the basics. My favorite are honestly the original recipe from the back of the Nestle chocolate chip bag. I love a nice, soft, warm cookie..none of that crispy stuff! Milk chocolate chips, maybe dark chocolate or some nuts if we’re feeling frisky. Drooling just thinking about it.
Agree? Disagree? Additions? Let me know what you think in the comments :)